Raise a glass of this rosy, bubbly cocktail with your loved one. The sweetness of the passion fruit juice is nicely balanced by the zing of fresh ginger.
- 2 ounces peeled fresh ginger, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup well-chilled passion fruit juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (4 strips of zest removed with a sharp vegetable peeler before juicing and reserved for garnish)
- 2 teaspoon grenadine
- 1 (750 ml) bottle well-chilled Cava or Prosecco
- Combine ginger with sugar and water in a small heavy saucepan and cook over medium-low heat until sugar is dissolved. Simmer, covered, 30 minutes then strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a measuring cup and cool (discard ginger).
- Stir together 1/4 cup of the ginger syrup with passion fruit and lemon juices and grenadine. Divide between 2 champagne flutes and slowly top with sparkling wine. Drop a twist of lemon zest into each glass.
*For a nonalcoholic version, substitute sparkling lemonade for the sparkling wine.
- Make ahead: Ginger syrup can be made up to 1 week ahead and kept covered and chilled.